Friday, December 16, 2011

My Top Shots of 2011

Every year i start a couple of threads on my local birding forum and ask people to post their top shots of the year.
I thought i'd post my top 3 shots from BC and my top 3 shots from US/World for 2011 on my very own blog.
Hope you enjoy!

Image
Bohemian Waxwing - Maplewood Flats, North Vancouver.
A pre-valentines day gift to me from nature, on Feb 13th :D


Image
Northern Shrike - Iona, Richmond.
This pic was bought by Birdwatching magazine and used in the December issue, gotta like that, right? :wink:


Image
Red Crossbill - Maplewood Flats, North Vancouver.
It was a toss-up between this and a Red-necked Phalarope, crossbill wins cause it was shot on my home turf.


Image
Blue-winged Warbler - Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio.
I was using Matthew Studebaker's PDF guide to shooting locations in Ohio and he described a particular area of the park where these warblers were known to have territory every year.
I got looks of them the first day but it was the second day (i went back the next morning) that really stands out to me as one of those special moments.
I made a print of this shot and it turned out really nice if i say so myself :wink:


Image
Purple Honeycreeper - Asa Wright Centre, Trinidad.
This must be my favourite bird from Trinidad.
I was able to get some close looks by working the feeders, it just looks so exotic :)


Image
Copper-rumped Hummingbird - Cuffie River, Tobago.
The hummers on both Trinidad and Tobago were quite amazing, even with a number of species males holidaying in Venezuela, the opportunity for close looks at even the most common species (this being one of them) were worth taking.
I made a print of this gem and it hangs by my desk at work, to remind me of why i work :wink:

1 comment:

Pandamon said...

a superb collection Paul, stands as a tribute to your technique, dedication and artistry in birding

The Waiting Area

The Waiting Area