Monday, March 25, 2013

The Leg Show

call it an After-work Special if you will :)

Didn't plan on ending up at Maplewood Flats after work today (and was dressed in my work shoes to boot) but my original idea of shooting around Lonsdale Quay didn't pan out (ie. no birds of worth to shoot) so Maplewood it was.

Every year i see these Greater Yellowlegs come through, sometimes in small groups, sometimes all by themselves. I prefer the loners because when in a group, these birds can become quite flighty.

Honestly, i thought of laying down on my stomach to get the ultra low angle looks but as i said, i was wearing work shoes (which got really muddy regardless) and in retrospect, maybe shooting in those shoes was a bad idea, but i couldn't help it, my first yellowlegs of the year at maplewood :)

I was trying to get as much "leg and foot action" as i could, that's what makes a nice shorebird shot IMO, especially with a bird called a yellowlegs, all too often i get the wading shot where legs are underwater (which is nice as well) but if you get them on a beach, so much the sweeter.


Image

Image

Image

Image

:)

No comments:

The Waiting Area

The Waiting Area