Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Best day ever at Maplewood

I went out to Maplewood Flats after work but before all that i had to get a flat tire fixed, grr, hate it when that happens..

Anyways, it seemed really quiet when I first arrived.
Another photographer, Peter Holmes happened to arrive at the same time as I so we ventured off in the same direction and both shared in the birding joy to come.
We didn't get further than the mudflats though as the trees and bushes there suddenly came alive with birdy goodness.
I didn't move much more than 10 feet in either direction and at times it was hard to decide what to shoot at.
Birds were flying around like crazy, all fly-catching what look to be termites (shiny red bodies and wings).
There seems to be an infestation of them right now at the mudflats and there birds are taking advantage.
Even the Pipit shot from the other day was feeding on them.

I'm not sure of a couple of the ID's but this is what I saw earlier.


Warbling Vireo


ID?


Black-throated Grey Warbler


Black-throated Grey Warbler


Orange-crowned Warbler


Warbling Vireo


Black-capped Chickadee


Yellow Warbler - juvenile?


ID?


Yellow-rumped Warbler

and finally


Townsend's Warbler (a BC lifer for me)

there were a few more species I didn't bother posting though like a Flycatcher species,
The variety of birds in that small area for such an extended time was a magical moment, thanks Maplewood Smile

No comments:

The Waiting Area

The Waiting Area